Daily Student Announcements
October 17, 2019
• Wrestling practice begins on Monday, October 21st. Anyone interested in participating needs to stop by Room 210B this week and speak with Coach Livingston. You also need to get your sports physical on the official KHSAA form. Coach Livingston has copies of the physical form if you need one.
• PT Pageturners will meet tomorrow during 1st and 3rd lunches. There is a prize for answering a trivia question about your reading. Be prepared to discuss the middle section of the book!
• Seniors: Cap and Gown Order Day will be November 1st. You should have already received a flyer but it you didn’t receive one, they can be picked up in the main office. You can also order online at www.balfour.com prior to this date.
• Penny Wars Competition: We have declared a war on cancer! October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we will have grade level PENNY WARS competition each day October 21-25 during lunch. A table will be set up with a jar for each grade level. Dump your change or your dollar bills to help support the American Cancer Society and the bowling team! (flyer attached)
• All students interested in a STEM career are invited to attend “Death By Chocolate” on October 24th at 6 pm at the Crounse Atrium/WKCTC. There will be a deluxe chocolate buffet with options for dietary restrictions. All students (grades 9-12), parents and educators are invited to attend. Young women are particularly encouraged to attend. For more information, please see the attachment.
• First Explorer Post 2501 Meeting of the Year is Tomorrow, Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Baptist Health Paducah's Heart Center Auditorium, 2501 Kentucky Avenue, Paducah KY
• Congratulations to the J.V. volleyball team for their win over Graves County last night and congratulations to the 4 seniors for their senior night recognition. They were Honi Haghighatjoo, Allison Jones, Gianina Loaiza, & Katelyn Shumaker.
• The PTHS Band of Blue will be practicing this week in front of the stadium on the parking lot. Please remove your vehicles between the blue lines by the following times: Monday,Tuesday & Thursday- by 3:30pm, Friday-right after school.
• Homecoming Permission Forms: If you are bringing a guest to the Homecoming dance, you must come by the Dean’s office for a permission form.
• Tomorrow’s Lunch: BBQ Nachos, fresh veggie bowl with ranch, jalapenors, fresh fruit and milk
• The student chapter of the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) at the University of Kentucky, Paducah Campus is excited to invite students to our 6th annual Death by Chocolate event on October 24th from 6:00-7:30 PM in Crounse Atrium. All students (9th-12th), parents, and educators are welcome. Death By Chocolate is hosted by SWE with the goal of informing young women about their potential for a STEM career. We want young girls to know that engineering is not just for men, but that women excel in engineering and other STEM majors.
• US Army rep will visit on Wednesday, October 23.
• FAFSA Assistance Event on Tuesday, October 22 from 2pm-6pm. If you cannot find the sign up link for appointments, see Ms. Sievers. She will sign you up for an appointment.
There is now a link to the Scholarship and Transcript Request pages on the front page of the school website in the menu on the left.
• The UK visit has been changed to Monday, October 21 during lunch in the library. Sign up in guidance office.
• Governor's School for Entrepreneurs. Applications will be available for high school students on November 15th. One change for this year is that GSE will not accept team applications. Applicants will apply as individuals and teams will be formed by GSE.
This is a great opportunity for your entrepreneurial students!
• Governor's School for the Arts Application is now live!!
This application must be completed online.
• AP Reimbursement money is in. Students is you passed an AP exam, you need to see Mrs. Sample. There is paperwork that must be competed and you must sign for the reimbursement. It will take time for the check to be issued to you; it is not instant. All money must be reimbursed by May 2020.
• Attention Juniors: The 2019-2020 Paxton Scholars Application is now available in Guidance. "To be eligible, students must be of African American descent, American citizens and a resident of Paducah/McCracken County, Kentucky. The MCCCE Scholarship Committee will review applications to determine the best overall applicants to participate in the Paxton Scholars Program. The highest rated students based on GPA, community service, attainable goals, strength of nomination, low income status and other factors will be selected." For more information please see Mrs. Rogers in guidance.
• Paducah Bank Teen of the Week applications for seniors only are available in the guidance office. Applicants must turn in updated resume, 1-2 letters of recommendation, and statement explaining education and career goals. Please submit to Mrs. Hancock or Ms. Sievers. Applications will be accepted through February 15, but early submission in encouraged.
• Murray State University's Commonwealth Honors Academy Application is now available online at:
Commonwealth Honors Academy
The Commonwealth Honors Academy is an exciting, challenging academic enrichment program for outstanding high school students who have completed their junior year.
The Commonwealth Honors Academy (CHA) is an exciting, challenging three-week academic enrichment program for outstanding high school students who have completed their junior year, maintained a 3.5 GPA and received a minimum composite 25 ACT. Students will be selected from the commonwealth and the surrounding region.
The CHA Advantage:
*Six hours of university credit
*College scholarship opportunity
*Six additional hours during senior year
The CHA Experience:
*Live on College campus
*Participate in college honors classes
*Opportunities to meet and work with other outstanding students, professors and secondary teachers in a university setting
Please see Mrs. Rogers for more information.